Once again the lovely folks at The Broke and The Bookish bring us Top Ten Tuesday. This week the theme is October To Be Read (TBR). I’m definitely not planning on 10 books this month, but I am heading on vacation at the end of the month (to sunny Sint Maarten) so it’s possible that all that travel time will let me sneak in an extra book or two.
To start with this month, my goal is to finish up the books I’ve already started reading. I’m one of those annoying readers who can be reading multiple books at once. I try to stay true but sometimes I’m not in the mood for my current read and I end up switching. Here’s what I’m working on finishing:
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman – I’m loving this, but it’s not quite a light hearted read so I’ve been having trouble having the mental space to give to this. But I will finish it because it’s fantastic and Stars is currently filming a tv version with the delightful Ricky Whittle starring as Shadow. I can’t wait to watch but I want to have read the book first. And they’re filming in Toronto, which makes me wish I lived closer so I could accidently run into Mr. Whittle (ahem, stalk).:)
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert – Again, I’m loving this. I’ve listened to the first two seasons of her podcast (Magic Lessons hosted by Maximum Fun, available on iTunes…worth listening to) and loved them. While I’m not a writer or poet or dancer I see creativity in so many other ways and I know I need creative outlets, even if it’s just baking a batch of brownies, to keep my soul happy. Her message about living creatively and finding those outlets, without needing to pursue it as your job is the kind of inspiration I’ve been looking for lately and is really resonating with me. I’ve got this book earmarked as a Christmas present for a couple of people.
- The Transatlantic Conspiracy by G. D. Falksen – I started this and got sidetracked because I had to finish another book for a blog tour. Apparently Falksen has written a bunch of stuff. This book showed us as an unrequested review copy but the steampunk theme appeals and I’m looking forward to finishing it.
- The Infamous Ratsos by Kara LaRue – I only paged through the first chapter but I want to finish this middle grade book quickly so I can review and pass it along to my nephew. I’m hoping it will work out as something he’d enjoy.
And as always my TBR is close to toppling over. If I can finish the above books, I’m also hoping to get to:
- Brotherhood in Death by J.D. Robb – I love the In Death series and this is the next one for me. I’m planning to save this for the beach where a good murder mystery and hot irish man are always appreciated.
- The Collector by Nora Roberts – Again, I’m a fan (and yes, she’s also JD Robb) and I haven’t read this one yet. It’s another vacation read for me.
- Every Move by Ellie Marney – this is the last book (currently, I’m hoping for more!) in her Sherlock inspired series. I loved the first two and can’t wait to read this one. Based on reviews the series gets better with each book.
That’s only 7 books, but as I said, I’d be surprised to hit 10 this month, even with vacation time thrown in. And I’m pretty sure I’m going to be buying Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco. It sounds fantastic and totally worth breaking my book buying ban for!
What’s on your October TBR?